2.15.2013

Three Cheers.

Yesterday was Taylor's 46th chemo, her goodbye to cancer.  Remember that picture I posted about a year ago of Ceal, Taylor, Drew, and Hudson sitting on the steps.  Taylor had braids and a huge smile.  The braids are gone, but that smile is still huge.  Bald beauty.  Oh.My.Heart.

I wore this shirt Sunday at church.  Sevenly has captured my heart- This shirt was raising money for childhood cancer.  I personally had never known a child with cancer.  I was in agony for them.  My girlfriends would come over and we would just stare at each other in disbelief.  Our hearts hurt.


How do you tell a friend that their tragic battle over the last year has changed your life?  Watching her daughter fight cancer has changed the way you look at your children?  You don't.  You just remember to live your life different.  To be grateful for everything, what an enormous life lesson.

School didn't seem so important.  Whether Ceal knew her numbers or could cut perfectly was the last thing on my mind.  We danced.  We played.  We laughed.  Everyday started to really matter.  Now I think about today.  How molding my children to be loving people is the only thing that matters. 

I looked at Ceal's teachers differently.  I kept thinking about Taylor's father.  Are his student's parents compassionate?  Do they understand what he is going through this year?  Instead of criticizing Ceal's teacher, I thanked her...always.

I look at people around me differently.  If you saw Taylor's mother grocery shopping, you'd have no idea the agony she faced everyday.  How she got up every morning, smiled, and created the best day for her children.  She danced at the Zoo.  She made forts at home.  She was an example to so many.  She constantly thought of those around her.  Asking me about my boys and buying Cealy books when she was having a hard time in school.  She did things for others that no one really knows about, and that is they way she likes it.  What a good lesson for me to live by.

So yesterday was such a big day.  I wish this family never had to endure this for their daughter.  Yet, she is clear and ready for her new life.  She has much more courage than adults.  Three Cheers to a mighty 3-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment