9.08.2013

We Are Human.

They were staring at me.  I wanted to shout at them, "You never seen a tantrum before?"  Sebastian and Cruz were misbehaving and Cealy felt it necessary to run from cement wall to cement wall.  I was running around the circus event wondering when help would arrive.  All the women were staring, and I was fumming.

Staring...it is what humans do.  We stare.  We study each other.  We want to try to understand.

I was at a football game recently when I watched a woman being carried up the bleachers.  My first thought was that she had too much to drink.  I was watching or maybe staring.  She was beautiful, and I kept thinking, "Oh geez, poor thing."  Then her mother and husband shouted to those of us near by, "What! You never seen a handicapped person before?!?"

I couldn't understand.  What did they mean?  And then I watched them put her into a wheelchair.

I couldn't believe the way they reacted.  We were sympathezing I thought.  We didn't understand what was happening.  We are human and as humans we were trying to understand.

And then thought back to how I reacted at the zoo when I was everyone's main event and I felt all the stares.  Why were so many people staring at me?  It is so uncomfortable, but I have to get used to it.  I do it.  Others will to.  We are human.

Then I thought about my 3 children who are not home yet.  And the stares we are going to get.  How will I react?  I cannot let them think that these stares make me uncomfortable, because that will mean I am somehow uncomfortable with them.  I have to remember that people are naturally curious.  We are humans.  Humans are curious and work hard to try and understand what is going on around them.  It is uncomfortable, yes, but not always harmful.  Here's to being comfortable with the stares.

No comments:

Post a Comment