9.11.2013

12 years ago today.

I remember exactly where I was. 

Sitting in acting class (yes I attempted to act in college) and hearing the news.  The horrific news.  My stomach hurt.  I didn't understand.

Then I looked at the girl next to me (my acting partner for the day) and it looked like she had seen a ghost.  I asked her if she was okay.  She said nothing. 

Then my acting teacher said we were canceling actual class, but she wanted to talk about how we were feeling.  Looking back, I see what an important move that was, as I never talked about how I felt again about that day.

When we got to my acting partner, she said, "My dad is there."  I remember everyone thinking, what does she mean or is she being serious?

She looked at all of us and said, "My dad travels to New York City once a month to work and he works there.  He is there now."

My heart hurt for her then and it does now.  She never came back to class after that day.  Our teacher told us her dad died and she went home to take care of her mother.

I don't know where she is today, but today I pray for her.  Among thousands of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment