9.20.2013

Laundry = Content?

Let me tell you how much I need to work on being content.  Embarrassing to admit, yes.

I remember my grandmother always telling me the way to be happy is to be content.  I would nod and smile.  "Yes, grammy, sure."

Let me tell you a short story about me and our laundry.  I first lived in New York City.  We didn't have any washing machines in the building so we would make a day of laundry and find a mat somewhere.  We would walk blocks with our clothes.

I remember saying: "God, please if I could just get a washing machine in my building, I would be the happiest girl, really I would!  Then we wouldn't freeze walking outside to find a laundry mat!"

Then I moved to Chicago.  Guess what?  We had laundry in the building.  It was in the basement.  We could stay warm while doing our laundry!

A couple of months went by and I remember saying: "God, please if I could just get laundry in my apartment, I would be the happiest girl, really I would! Then we wouldn't have to get out of our pajamas to do laundry. Or we could do laundry at night and not have to go up and down the elevator."

Then we moved to Indianapolis.  Guess what?  Our house had a laundry room!

Do you want to know what I said to my sister yesterday? 

"If my laundry room was only upstairs!  I am sick of walking up and down the stairs to get sheets and clothes.  When I have 5 children, uggg laundry will be my life!  I need my laundry room upstairs, like my neighbor."

God gave me an out of body experience for this conversation.  He probably wanted to slap me, but instead let me remember how being content would help greatly.  While talking to her I slowly remembered all the conversations about wanting something better in the laundry world.

Believe me, if I was given a house tomorrow with laundry upstairs, I would complain in a couple of months about hiring someone to do my laundry.

On a side note though, why do builders put laundry rooms downstairs?  Eeeeeek, back to being content.


No comments:

Post a Comment