5.02.2013

STUCK.

I got an email this morning about our case...movement I guess.

After crying the ugly cry on the phone with some people in DC, I thought I hit rock bottom.  Then I got an email with vague information but communication none the less.  I am not pretending to think their job is easy, so I continue to pray for everyone working on our case.

Adoption gets really hard in the end, especially with this amazing, thought provoking new documentary called, STUCK.

All the real stories about so many children waiting for families that never come.  Or families that so badly want their children but all the red tape holding them back.  Hurts my heart.  Watch this film and tell me you are not moved to write your senator. 

It really got me thinking.  The lawyer in this film said something that I have been trying to say for years, but I was not articulate enough.  What is your definition for an orphan?  Not the legal one, but the one you think applies to children who need forever homes.  Hers is "any un-parented child."  Thank you.  Seriously, I have been so angry with the way people throw around who is a legal orphan and who is not.  If a child is not parented and is growing up in an orphanage, they have the right to a family.

Believe me, there are some strong opinions about this.  I do not agree that children are better off in orphanages as long as their parents visit once a month.  Not okay.  Children need families, guidance, love, someone to empower them and lead them.  And don't go attacking me, Miss you know who you are, because I do believe we should help families feed and educate their children.  I do this now, and I thank you for advocating such.  On the contrary, I believe we need to make it easier to adopt children who need families, whether or not they meet the legal definition.

I watched a student suffer while his mother came in and out of his life for the year I had him.  His foster mother so badly wanted to adopt him.  After all he came to her with fists a blazing and found love and acceptance.  But his mother was alive and she just needed one more chance.  She wanted to change, but couldn't.  And you know I never judged her a day in my life, because I understand addiction.  It is the saddest and toughest thing to watch someone go through.  But this little boy needed stability.  He needed a mother who was going to fight for him everyday not when she was sober.  So I stand by my definition.

1 comment: