1.10.2013

Alzheimer's Disease.

Yesterday I whispered in her ear again, "Go with Jesus."  I have those talks with her.  "Make sure you except Jesus in your heart, Gram.  He is the son of God, and died for us."  She stares at me, and nods her head.  I take this to assume she has those conversations, I so much want for her to have.  Then I am knocked into reality when Sebastian runs into a random person's room.  I told him if he did it again he was going to time out, but he is smarter than the average and knew there wasn't a pack-n-play around to keep him contained.

Gram was not having a good day yesterday.  When the nurse was concerned with giving her Excedrin because of liver failure, I about had a moment.  Liver failure?  She has suffered with Alzheimer's Disease for 12 years and has migraines.  I found myself staring at her without talking.  I thought I said, "Liver failure?"  but I was just staring at her.  Imagine not being able to tell someone you are having a migraine?  Give her Excedrin!  So instead of being adult about it, I cried.  She came over and gave me some tissue.  Said she just gave the woman next door the same tissue box when in bed with her mother..trying to get her to recognize her.  I cried even more. 

Not everyone is in the best of moods when you visit, but you make the best of it.  We usually make it fun so we don't cry or sap around because let's face it, my Gram lived a good life, so I am ready for Jesus to bring her home.  I know what true sadness looks like and this isn't it. 

Last week, one of the oldies but a goody, told my mom she was stealing stuff.  I spit out my water, because I couldn't stop laughing.  I asked my mom to grab all the kiddos coats, and when we walked away Ms. Memory was yelling, "She is stealing those coats!!  She is a stealer!  Look at her!"  My mom loves it.  She laughs with the best of them.

My little sister often goes with me when she can.  Because we always get into trouble together, I tell her to be on her best behavior.  Because last time we went, she sure did try and buy the couch cushions from one of the ladies who was selling them...I told Mackenzie we were not messing around this time.  She promised, but one of the meanies was calling her a name.  So when Ms. Meany wanted to sit down, Mackenzie sent her the long way around the couch...with her walker.

Then Mackenzie tells my Gram that she bought the cutsie sweatshirt my Gram is wearing...which she didn't.  She tries to boost her granddaughter status.  I guess that is the plus to having a Gram with the disease, she believes anything you tell her.

I look over at LaRosa.  She is telling Ms. Grabs A Lot (the one who scared my children) that she needs to hand over her baby doll so she can eat.  La Rosa has taken care of my Gram for awhile.  There is not a lot of "thank yous" in this job.  Oh that precious, LaRosa.  I pray God gives her blessings.  If you saw her in the grocery, you might just think she is another beautiful, young woman shopping with her kids.  I tell you what, she is so much more.  She is a child of God who works where not everyone could...and loves with her all her heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment