12.19.2012

Comfort Zone, I loved you.

Stepping outside of your comfort zone is scary.  "No thanks...I enjoy life just like this."

Faithe asked me a couple of weeks ago to come to a prayer she was hosting.  One of her girlfriends is adopting a precious boy from Haiti, and is being held up in the process.  "Could you come pray with us?"  Me-"Us, like who?"  Faithe- "Oh, just about 25 people or so from my church. It will be at our home."  Me-"Well of course, I can."

So here is what I was thinking... I am going to Faithe's and praying with amazing Christians who attend an amazing church, don't know anyone, they will judge me, and I will be super uncomfortable...So I'll just tell her an hour before that someone has come up.  Perfect.  Love that idea.  Then reality hit, and it wasn't about me.  Yes, I am still 3 years old sometimes, and think some things are all about me.  This precious woman needs prayers from everyone to get her son home, and I'll be damned if I am too immature to suck it up.

So I went.  And it was Amazing.  I met some delicious people.  I was in awe of how they prayed, and not a one person laughed at me praying.  They hugged me and thanked me for coming.

One Step Forward.

Then another precious woman in my life asked if I could come and sew dresses for girls in Africa.  "Absolutely. I am coming. I will be there."  Wait, did she saw sew?  Mama doesn't sew.  Then my mind started wondering.  She home-schools her children.  I bet everyone there will be home-schooling, sewing mothers who are so much better than me, I can't go...not going.  I think I am starting to feel achy last night, perfect, I'll just drop off those supplies in her mailbox that way I contributed, and off to that sweet comfort zone I call home.

My husband came home early, and I was off.  Just dropping off the supplies of course, but I secretly knew I was going, because God wasn't going to let me be 3 again.  He was whispering, "You cannot be afraid of those you think may be different from you.  You are teaching your daughter differences are beautiful and make the world a better place." AHHH!

Friends, I will have you know that this woman's husband met me at the door.  Her baby boys ran around my legs and played with me most of the night.  Her daughters asked if I needed anything, and asked me questions about my life.  Her mother was adorable, because I am sure she spotted me and my non-sewing talents when I hit the door.  This amazing woman and her friends had me laughing, learning, and breaking down my 3-year-old mentalities.  She was real.  Her conversations were everything I needed.  She is a beautiful, young, mother who doesn't give a crapola that she drives a 12 passenger van.  She has six children who laugh. play. and prove to all those around them that this is what life is about.  If I stay in my comfort zone, I won't experience other families that make the world a better place.  I will question my sanity, because those around me don't live the way I do.  Today, I smile because we have so much in common, and I am honored to be a little like her.

Those 4 hours made all the difference in my life.  Goodbye, Comfort Zone.  Hello, New Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment