11.10.2014

Home School and Life Together.

I can't even believe I am writing a post titled this. If you would have asked me 10 years ago if I would ever and I mean ever mutter the word, home school, I would tell you, "No, never." And here I am today. Many details aside, I am only homeschooling this year, but what a year it is already. I know so many amazing, cool women who home school their children now. They have taught me a lot.

This is our breakfast most mornings. My children love eggs, hash browns, and ketchup. If there is left over ketchup, you best believe it is licked up. Now that would gross anyone out besides myself, because I love some ketchup too!


During breakfast we are reading, 365 stories in their new children's bible. We just finished up Genesis where Joseph forgave his brothers after they sold him into slavery. Sebastian was obsessed with the animal blood put on his coat after his brothers faked his death. It is amazing how much my understanding grows after reading with them. I am usually just as shocked as them when reading about these amazing people and the lives God created for them.

After breakfast we start centers. I try to get them ready the night before. I have all puzzles and index cards organized in baggies. Malachi is a beast at 4 letter puzzle words right now. He put them together and then asks everyone to celebrate his successes. Dominic is dominating his colors. When he gets them all right, he wants to call daddy. Sebastian loves art and stickers. If I am trying to teach one child something, I will bury Sebastian in sticker books, so I can concentrate on someone besides him. I am starting a program right now for Cealy. I am anxious to see if it works. If it does I will report back!

I have a lot to catch up on with my kiddos. So we read a lot of books. I am talking we leave the library with at least 15 books every time, and come back to the library with at least $10 worth of fines. Books expose them to words and worlds that I would not use or imagine on my own.

I let them play....a lot. I play with them when I can, because I know that's important too. I am trying to slow down. I don't want to schedule something for everyday. When I am home and sitting with one of them, I learn more about them in that moment than anywhere outside our home. I am more tired than ever before. Sometimes, I crawl to bed while my kitchen is crawling with muck and dishes all over.

We have a star chart right now! I'll post pictures of that later. When they fill it all up, they get something special. So far, they have only filled it up once, and we bought fish for their fish tank! They have chores and must clean up their messes, and they get a whole lot of nothing for that. That is expected. When they go above and beyond and love each other with a Jesus heart, they get a star on their family chart. Then we celebrate that child or brother or sister for adding a star to the chart. We are working together. 

God is good.

Malachi. Seriously? Our neighbor girls love him. It is ridiculous. He just walks outside and is smothered in love. The other day I caught him telling our sweet neighbor to take him this way and that, pointing his finger and forgetting all manners and sweet behavior. We had a talk, and now he at least says please and thank you.

Best part about having my babes home is going to the Zoo on warm days just because we can! This day, everyone was done eating except Sebastian who decided on bringing the last bit of tater tots with him.

I took a minute video of the tiger on this day! He kept circling around and getting so close to the kids, the would scream and laugh! I was impressed at his work out skills.



On this day, Sebastian decided he didn't like ANY of his socks, never mind that they are also his brother's socks. He threw them away in the trashcan and then covered them up with trash. That would be a broken egg on top of it all.      

No comments:

Post a Comment