12.24.2014

Forgetting His Miracles.

The kids and I have been reading through the Bible. The kids version of course, which is great for me too considering I still think like a child. As we're reading, I am thinking to myself and saying out loud, "Wow, people sure were dumb thousands of years ago. They can't get a clue. God works out miracle after miracle but the minute something goes wrong, they forget about Him again."

Seriously. God's blessing protected the Israelites time and time again. They cheered in amazement. Then days later, they forgot all about what God did for them. They even began worshiping false gods and statues. I looked at my kids, "These people were real whack back then."

Then I started thinking. Oh.my.word. I am these people. I am the queen of thanking God for His blessing, and quickly forgetting what He did for me.

I was positive I would not find a good job in Chicago. I interviewed at a school where I didn't want to teach. It was a brutal beginning. It was some of the best written pages of my life. God chose that school, and that story for me, but somehow I forget.

I whined and pleaded for God to send us back to Indianapolis. It wasn't 3 months later that Dan's company talked to him about a position in Indianapolis. I am sure I thanked God, but soon forgot.

I had two of God's biggest blessing running around when I really wanted to adopt our next child. It wasn't long after our first adoption meeting that God blessed us with the two most amazing boys on the planet. Their picture had me crying for days. There were many bumps on that journey and a lot of waiting. You best believe, I was shouting at ever bump. "God, you are leaving me here!" "You aren't even there are you?" "I am so angry with you!" I lost faith the minute something went wrong in my life.

God presented the biggest blessing after a year of waiting. A daughter. One of the hardest times of my life was last Christmas when I was sure God wasn't in the details. I thought our children were never coming home. I was sure God wasn't there. I was sure acting like my brothers and sisters thousands of years ago, and forgetting ALL He had done for me.

Leaving Congo without my children, I will spare you the things I said to our Father. I was angry, and forgot about the huge miracles he worked out. The Isrealites saw Him part water through Moses. They saw the walls of Jericho fall by simply shouting as God commanded them to do. They saw the sun stand still for Joshua as God was with Him. I experienced miracle after miracle through my profession, personal life, lives of my children, and I still couldn't get it together.

I am sure I will falter again. I am a big sinner. Thank you God for sending your son. Thank you Jesus for giving your life so we can be apart of your family. God is in the details everyday, mostly I don't allow my eyes to see it, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment